DIY · Open Source · TechIt

Converting amr audio files with VLC

I had some personal audio recordings made on an old phone that I wanted to use elsewhere.

However, that phone had saved them in .amr files, and this wasn’t usable by most of the audio processing software I have.

Luckily, I had VLC installed and after a bit of searching found a video conversion command and managed to tweak it to successfully convert my audio from amr to mp3.

Here is the original video conversion command I’d found:

"c:\vlc\vlc.exe" -vvv myold.vid.xyz --sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,acodec=mpga,vb=800,ab=128,deinterlace}:standard{access=file,mux=ts,dst="myvid.mpg"}

And here’s what I changed it to and used to convert audio file formats from .amr to .mp3:

"c:\vlc\vlc.exe" Myaudio.amr --sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128}:standard{access=file,mux=dummy,dst="myusableaudio.mp3"}

However, in some instances I notice a slight truncation of the output track.

It is also possible to do this from the vlc menus via “Media” menu and “Convert/Save” option but is cumbersome for a lot of files.

  1. Select the Media menu
  2. Select the Convert/Save option
  3. On the window that pops up, select Add a file
  4. Then click on Convert/save button
  5. Enter detail for destination file
  6. Select profile = “Audio – MP3

In this case I note that the audio output has a slightly different quality / tone.

But it’s fine for my purposes.

Happy converting.

Thanks VLC !

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Converting amr audio files with VLC

  1. hi, i trying to do a convertion of a file with .arm extension to mp3 with vlc like the post, but the result is a corrupt file, there is something more that you do to realize the convertion, install something more, a dll, library?

  2. Hi Omar, yes, including “mux=ts” appears to be problematic. I guess I removed that and forgot to update the blog post draft.

    I have edited the post now, and also included some instruction for using the VLC gui / window menus to do the same thing, and potentially better results.

  3. man, the command prompt worked. the UI still didnt work, though i could find all the menu/buttons u have mentioned. I am using “VLC version 1.1.11 “The Luggage””
    “C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe” source_file.amr –sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128}:standard{access=file,mux=dummy,dst=”myusableaudio.mp3″}

  4. thanks, man. the command prompt really worked well. it seems GUI doesn’t work that good. i’m archiving this website for reference and share to friends. thanks again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s